Saturday 7 January 2012

52 Cookbook Challenge: Week 1 Part 2

Spurred on by the success of the filo pie and the enthusiasm of a new endeavour, we made not one but three recipes last week. We continued with cinnamon crunch muesli (I told you breakfast would be a recurring theme).

This was easy-peasy, involving melting butter, sugar and cinnamon in a pan, combining it with rolled oats and chopped almonds, and baking the whole lot in the oven for half an hour, stirring regularly. I whipped it up while waiting for the filo pie to cook and baked it while Baby Bird and Hubby watched Waybuloo.

Handsight tells me I should have chopped the almonds in the food processor. Not quite sure why foresight didn't tell me that, but there you go. div class="separator"style="clear: both; text-align: center;">
You may well smile Bill Granger. These almonds cost me 20 mins and one cut finger! In case you are wondering, didn't buy chopped almonds as I wanted the skins on for flavour.

Cut finger notwithstanding, this was a big success. We've added it to yoghurt and fruit for breakfast, stirred it into rice pudding, vanilla custard and apple purée for quick desserts for Baby bird and even sprinkled it on Carte d'Or Cinnamon Caramel Waffle icecream for a naughty treat for the grown-ups after she has gone to bed. I can see this becoming a permanent store cupboard fixture. Might add dried cranberries next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about this post.